Living in an area that has winter season is always frustrating especially if you are plant lovers such as Bucephalandra. You have to find the best way to avoid frosting on your plant and keep them alive even though in the low temperature.
Frosting usually happens when the temperature is below 0̊ C or more than that. Not only the area on the northern or southern part of the earth that has a winter season, the place near mountain and hilly area are also risking frosting. Even, in the tropic area are also possible to find frosting even in the hot summer season. This condition happens because the temperature will drop to the lowest around 0̊ C so it will frost anything on it.
Typical Plants That Frost Risking
There are some types of plants that cannot live with the low temperature. However, the others are tough enough to live within the cold season. We differentiate the plants that are mostly vegetables into 3 groups.
- Plants damaged on light frost. You have to be careful to grow this plant after the spring season or you will lose all of them. Those plants are Tomatoes, Eggplants, Melons, Cucumbers, and Paper.
- Plants survive from the light frost. They cannot live long in the frozen air, but they still can survive from the light frost. These plants include Cabbage, Pok Choi, Celery, Cauliflower, Bucephalandra, Lettuce, and Peas.
- Plants survive from the hard frost. This type of plant is quite good to survive even in the long winter and they did not show any damage at all. The examples are Carrot, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Kale, Onion, Radish, and Turnip.
How to Protect Plants from the Frost?
Keeping the plants from the frost is quite simple but you have to make it seriously. Especially if you grow the vegetables to fulfill your daily needs during the winter season. You can follow the below steps to protect your plants from the frost:
- Cover it with the old blankets
The first thing you can try is using the old blankets from your storage to protect your plants. You can put the pole to support the blanket. However, you have to make sure that the blanket did not touch the plants that may block its growth.
- Build your greenhouse
The greenhouse is the best choice when you want to protect your whole garden from frost. It does not only keep your plants from the strong wind, heavy snow but also maintains the temperature inside. However, you have to remember that it needs more cost to build your greenhouse.
- Take the plants inside the house
This step is only recommended if you grow your plants in a pot since you can carry them inside the house. The plant will stay alive longer since you keep it inside the house. If you plant a Bucephalandra, it is better to put them inside the house near the window or the door so they still can get enough fresh air and sunshine.